The three ( 3 ) BRASHAW Brothers are acknowledged by inscription on the Bunbury State School Honour Board, mounted in the Library/Committee Meeting Room at the R.S. L. Bunbury, WA. The eldest boy, Harry was born in Leeds, England in 1882. Harry served a 5 year Apprenticeship as a Baker,with his father, Harry SNR, whilst the family resided in Bunbury. The second boy, Joseph Arthur was born at Bellambi near Wollongong NSW in 1891, and qualified/practiced as a Chemist. The third boy, Leslie was born in Bunbury, WA in 1896 and was employed as a Chemist’s Assistant. Details of each of the Soldiers First World War Service, follows:-

( 1 ) –  BRASHAW, Harry –  Pte. – 2nd Light Horse Regiment

Harry was initially part of the 51st Battalion Reinforcements, before being transferred to the Light Horse Regiment and Camel Corps at Claremont WA as a Trooper. He embarked from Fremantle WA aboard the Troop Ship ” Boorara ” on 22 May 1917, bound for Alexandria Egypt. After a short stay at the Isolation Camp at Moascar, he was marched out to the Reserve Depot at Abbassia.

After 6 months at the 4th Anzac Headquarters in Egypt, Harry was posted to the 2nd Light Horse Regiment in the field , where he served almost continuously, until granted leave to England on 15 December 1918.

He rejoined the 2nd Light Horse Regiment in Egypt , following leave, and served out his time until 13 March, 1919 when he embarked from Kantara Egypt aboard the troop ship ” Ulimaroa “, bound for Fremantle WA.  He disembarked on 26 April 1919, then was granted his Discharge from War Service on 21 August, 1919, being classified as Medically Unfit.


British War Medal – No. 21006

Victory Medal – No. 19980


( 2 ) – BRASHAW,  Joseph  Arthur – CAPTAIN –  16th Battalion.

Joseph was an ideal candidate for leadership, having completed Junior and Senior Army Cadets Training for 7 years, including 4 years with the Militia, as a Corporal and Colour Sergeant. He had also successfully qualified  for a Musketry Certificate and Infantry School Certificate. On 16 October 1914, he signed an Australian Military Forces Application seeking appointment as a Commissioned Officer.

On 20 November, 1914 Joseph was granted approval by the District Commandant to take an appointment as Lieutenant with the 16th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcements at Blackboy Hill Camp, WA.  He embarked Fremantle WA on 22 February 1915, aboard the troop ship ” Itonus “, bound for Alexandria Egypt ( his younger brother Leslie was also aboard this vessel ).

Joseph disembarked in Egypt on 17 March 1915, then transferred to the Overseas Training Base. On 12 April 1915, he embarked Alexandria with the Mediterranean Expeditionary Forces, bound for the Gallipoli Peninsula. He safely negotiated the Dawn Landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915, then was appointed Officer in Charge of 10% of 16th Battalion Reinforcements, based at Gallipoli.

On 2 May, 1915 Joseph suffered a severe gunshot wound to the right leg ,whilst in action at Gallipoli. He was evacuated by hospital ship ” Dongala ” to the Deaconess Hospital at Alexandria, where he underwent five ( 5 ) weeks of treatment, before transferring to a Convalescent Hospital for a further six ( 6 ) weeks. Joseph rejoined the 16th Battalion at the  Gallipoli front, on 28 July, 1915.

Commanders became acutely aware of Joseph’s  leadership skills , confirmed by his swift promotion to the rank of Captain, on the day following his return to the front. On 6 August 1915, Joseph took part in a planned surprise night attack, which led to his demise. The men were warned that this operation may mean going without sleep for up to forty-eight ( 48 ) hours. They were to march by night from Anzac to a jumping-off point, to enable an attack on Hill 971 ( a prime vantage point ,offering complete views of the disputed areas in the early phases of battle ). The overnight march was exhausting, with many enemy dealt with, by bayonet. The troops were instructed to take a short cut, which was very narrow and rough, permitting movement, only in single file. The men walked over rough, broken stoney ridges , densely covered with low prickly undergrowth, where Turks had taken cover.

Shortly after dawn, prior to 7.00 a.m. , Captain Joseph BRASHAW was kneeling up to study the ground in front of them, when he was fatally shot through the heart. Sadly, due to the heavy fighting that ensued , causing many casualties, and loss of this ground to the enemy, Joseph Brashaw’s body was not recovered.



Lone Pine Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey – Panel No. 30

Australian War Memorial, Canberra, ACT – Panel No, 78

Bunbury War Memorial, WA

Bunbury State School Honour Board, WA



1914/15 Star – No. 14294

British War Medal – No. 8060

Victory Medal – No. 8020

Memorial Plaque & Scroll – No. 355798


( 3 ) – BRASHAW,  Leslie – S/N- 1458 – Lieutenant – Imperial Army Camel Transport Corps

Leslie had completed some years  service with 86th Infantry ” C ” Company, prior to enlisting for service in the Great War, on 16 November 1914. He completed his Medical Examination at Blackboy Hill Camp WA and was allotted to Depot Company , with the rank of Private. On 1 January 1915 he transferred to the 16th Battalion 2nd Reinforcements and promoted to Corporal ( his older brother Joseph was a Lieutenant in the same Company ).

The brothers embarked together on 22 February 1915 aboard the troop ship ” Itonus “, bound for Alexandria Egypt.  They were transferred to the Overseas Training Base in Egypt upon arrival, however whilst Joseph was transported to action at Gallipoli, Leslie remained in service with the 16th Battalion, in Egypt.

On 24 January 1916, Leslie was transferred to the Camel Transport Corps at Ein Shams, Egypt and appointed as Acting Quarter Master Sergeant. He was obviously most suited to this work, with further promotion to Temporary Company Sergeant Major, being promulgated at Moascar Egypt, on 6 November 1916.

Leslie was offered a Commission as 2nd Lieutenant with the Royal Army Egyptian Camel Transport Corps, on 25 November, 1916. He was immediately discharged from the AIF to take up this new role. His expertise was rewarded with promotions to Captain on 29 December 1917, then to Lieutenant on 26 May 1918. He remained in Egypt for the duration of the War, subsequently embarking from Alexandria, for return to Australia on 31 May, 1919.



1914/15 Star – No. 7479


Leslie was also entitled to the award of a British War Medal and Victory Medal. His file is noted that the Australian Army issued the 1914/15 Star, but due to his transfer to the Royal Army, the remaining Medals would need to be issued by the War Office London.